The science and innovation behind cannabis-infused beverages is building a bridge between drinkers and tokers. Social circles often blend different types of party people. When it’s time to consume cannabis, there’s a clear divide. Drinkers do their thing, and cannabis users generally step outside and come back smelling and feeling a little funkier. Or, they consume a cannabis-edible, followed by the waiting game.
The length of time for edibles take effect will vary based on factors such as an individual’s cannabinoid system and metabolism. Legalization has brought both “edible cannabis solids” and “edible cannabis beverages.” to the legal marketplace, a difficult task for Licensed Producers to achieve. Cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD, are fat-soluble. Most edibles come in the form of baked goods or candy because it’s easy to blend fats into these products. Fat doesn’t mix well with water. A dropper full of cannabis oil in your beverage of choice typically doesn’t go down so well.
We looked to Tweed for some answers. Without overcomplicating things, here’s a simple summary.
Cannabis extracts are made using a CO2 extraction process. Carbon dioxide is compressed into a liquid state and combined with raw cannabis materials. When pressure and heat are added, the CO2 is released. What’s left is a concentrated cannabis extract.
The next step to creating a cannabis-infused beverage is short-path distillation, which uses a vacuum and heat control system to turn a concentrated extract, into cannabis distillate.
Cannabis distillates are not water-soluble, but the emulsification process will make it so. A proprietary blending agent is combined with the distillate to make a water-soluble cannabis product.
Tweed claims that consumers will likely feel the effects of their cannabis-infused beverages within 15-30min after consumption. These convenient canned beverages are delicious served chilled as is or poured over ice.
This beverage is light and refreshing. Tastes like sparkling water with a twist of lime. Houndstooth is a Sativa-dominant strain with a sweet and earthy scent, due to its pinene profile. Each 355ml can provide 2mg of THC.
Bakerstreet is a pure Indica and head of the Kush cannabis strain lineage. This beverage is sweet and spicy, with a bubbly finish, with each serving contains 2mg THC.
Summer Mocktail No.01 – Strawberry Basil Spritzer
1. Place some ice in a nice glass.
2. Chop strawberries and basil into fine pieces.
3. In a cocktail shaker, muddle together strawberries, basil and honey until leaves are bruised and aromatics are in the air.
4. Add lemon juice and shake well.
5. Strain into the prepared glass of ice.
6. Add one can of Houndstooth & Soda and top with a little extra sparkling water if desired.
7. Add fresh basil or citrus wedge for garnish.
Summer Mocktail No.02 – Ginger Beer & Lime
1. Carefully combine orange juice, maple syrup and orange zest.
2. Add Tweed Bakerstreet & Ginger
3. Add a dash of cinnamon and fresh squeezed lime
4. Stir well. Serve chilled or over ice.
5. Garnish with a fresh lime wedge.